Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] gold leafing an oil painting

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 19:04:46 PDT

My father in law was a gold leaf expert sign painter in NYC. He
taught me how to adhere the leaf to glass. He used something called,
"Japan Drier" as a first coat, then a brick red oil paint called
"bole." Then he applied the leaf on top and burnished it. I have used
gold leaf on acrylic paintings just using acrylic medium underneath.
But the saying is,"fat over lean" and never the opposite, so acrylic
shouldn't go over oil.