[teacherartexchange] thesis project help

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 18:59:38 PDT

Hello!

I am relatively new to the list - I was a member a few years back, discontinued it for a while, and have now rejoined. (Although I have kept track of a few of your websites as great resources - thanks Bunki and Woody!) I am getting ready to write my thesis project proposal for my Masters in Art Education. My idea is to write about using "personal narrative" art projects with middle school inner city students as a way of engaging them as well as a way of helping them learn about themselves and gain self-esteem. The charter school I work at has gone through a population change over the past few years from most upper middle class students to more inner city lower socio-economic students. As middle school teachers, we have been scrambling to keep up with the change and adapt our teaching to what these students need. Through trial and error, I have begun to realize that art projects that focus on art history and traditional techniques are disconnected from these students lives and therefore do not engage th
em., They seem to respond much more to art that gives them an opportunity to tell about their lives. I am looking for resources to support my idea and would appreciate any help you all could give me. We need at least 10 professional resources before we can propose our idea. Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to participating in this list again!

Julie Brady
Art Teacher
Knapp Charter Academy