[teacherartexchange] Hong Hao - Contemporary Chinese Artist

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 09:56:01 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a contemporary Chinese Artist to introduce when you are
showing images of Chinese scrolls and such. He digitally places
photographs into copies of scroll paintings.... His work might inspire
a lesson.

I found his work in the New York Times article (you will need to
subscribe to read it)
Mountains of the Mind in Chinese Art - By HOLLAND COTTER
Review of "Journeys: Mapping the Earth and Mind in Chinese Art"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/arts/design/13chin.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin
Several works in this exhibit are contemporary - mixed with the
classical pieces.
Some of Hong Hao's works are in the slide show. One is an antique
scroll with photographs added. Journeys: Mapping the Earth and Mind in
Chinese Art" is on view through Aug. 26 at the Metropolitan Museum of
Art. I did not find an online exhibit to share.

Here is my web surf for Hong Hao today:
http://asiapacifictriennial.com/artists/artists/long_march_project/hong_hao
b.1965, Beijing, China
Lives and works in Beijing, China
".....Hong Hao is one of a generation of emerging artists who have
developed a critical photographic practice that reflects on the legacy
of cultural memory and the ironies of a national identity in a rapidly
changing China.

"Using a combination of photography, print, and the scanning of
real-life objects, Hong creates varied art works. Often he arranges
familiar objects and scenes to challenge assumptions and preconceived
perceptions. In a recent series entitled 'My things', he created a
tableaux of accumulated objects, digitally re-edited and crowded into
the flat surface of the picture plane. These works focused on everyday
items to suggest how individuals define themselves through the
accretion of inanimate and mass-produced objects.

"Other series have involved the subtle manipulation of traditional
items such as maps and antique scrolls, and the skilful photographic
construction of false scenes of tourism and consumer-driven affluence.
In many of his works, Hong reorganises cultural and popular icons,
consumer items and 'sacred' objects to reveal an alternative point of
view."
(copied from URL above)

20 works on artnet:
http://www.artnet.com/artist/8466/hong-hao.html
(Elegant Gathering is another antique scroll - although it has some
nude bathers).

http://www.basegallery.com/exhibit_hong04e.html
A couple good images of "My Things" photograph series.

several photographs:
http://www.artscenechina.com/chineseart/artists/chinesephotography/honghao.htm

More screen prints from "Selected Scriptures"
http://www.canvas-art.nl/stock/artists/hong_hao/honghao.html

Includes photograph of Hong Hao:
http://www.artrealization.com/galleries/main.php?g2_itemId=441
http://www.artrealization.com/contemporary_chinese_art/artists/hong_hao/hong_hao.htm

One of his digital collages - and some biographical information:
http://www.chinesecontemporary.com/hong_hao.htm
http://www.chinesecontemporary.com/hong_hao_0.htm

More can be found on line for those interested.

More Art News from New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Regards,

Judy Decker