[teacherartexchange] Use Laurel Burch for whimsical animals

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 11:18:39 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a contemporary artist to use to introduce pattern, abstraction
and whimsical animals. I know many of you are familiar with the work
of Laurel Burch- California artist/designer.
http://www.laurelburch.com/index.htm

I emailed Laurel asking what she thought of all the lesson plans
inspired by her work.
She is thrilled!

I sent a URL for a lesson idea I have on Incredible Art Department as
an example.

This is the reply I got:

Dear Judy,
I showed the page you indicated to Laurel. She noted that it clearly
says that the artwork was inspired by her. And she was delighted by
the students' art! In fact she loves it when she can be an
inspiration to young artists. Thank you for asking.

Sincerely, Roberta for Laurel Burch
I often tied in Laurel Burch when I taught my folk art/abstract animals lessons.
I showed her work as she was clearly inspired by folk art. Of course,
we never copied her work.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department