[teacherartexchange] Second Graders Learn Copyright Lesson the Hard Way

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 22:51:43 PDT

Thanks for reporting that story about the copyright violation, Judy. I
think when the teacher sent the artist the links to the children's art work,
she was waving the red flag in front of the bull, forcing him to take
action. So that was really a very naive thing for her to do. They say that
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Perhaps she could teach them
to put "after" Daniel Kessler on their art work, and then not do it again.
Like "after Rembrandt," or "after Velasquez," --artists who are not
copyrighted. That would give him some free publicity and preserve their
admiration for his work. Everyone makes mistakes. Let's not trash this
teacher.

There are matters which are more important, like children in bars and
nightclubs. Why can't they keep the children out of there? Why do they
feed those little people to the gangsters that way? I got picked up when I
was 20 years old, for trying to go into a nightclub to listen to jazz. They
told me I had to have an escort to go in there. I called up the church of
the denomination I had gone to for years in my home town and they sent him
out to pick me up. If it had been a New York nightclub, I would have been
legal. I had a shotgun wedding to that man who picked me up. Why didn't
they just tell me I was too young to be in a bar? I think they force young
people into a bad lifestyle this way, which he told me was going to last my
whole life, while he was in the process of dumping me after he took me
thousands of miles away from my home town. If you knew what I know about
it, you would have MADD taking that club to court to make them keep the
children out of there. They actually think they can say that a big dance
hall night club with a stage for Reggae music and swing music and so on,
that serves beer and wine, that charges a cover of up to $20, is a community
center. Give me a break! I realize there's a university in Berkeley and
they tell thousands of lies to thousands of students every day, but that
really stretches the imagination.

Jean Womack
Richmond, CA