Re: [teacherartexchange] Second Graders Learn Copyright Lesson the Hard Way

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 12:49:48 PDT

Hi,

I'm aghast! There is an argument for copying master
works to learn techniques, but as a practice exercise,
not a project! What are the learning objectives for
an artist copy "project"? Is it busy work/window
decoration, like making hand turkeys? What about
opportunities for students to creatively
problem-solve, communicate their own ideas, use
imagination... Why not view + analyze LOTS of dog
pictures by different artists in many styles and let
students decide how to best represent their own dog,
or dream dog - As for snide comments about Kessler's
work, would the same snickers be made about blatant
copying of Klee's "childlike" imagery? If this is how
we treat artists, disrespecting their ideas and
original works, few will collaborate with us. Kessler
is owed an apology. Finally, teaching students it is
ok to copy others' work is a good way to prepare them
to fail their AP art portfolio assessments when they
reach high school. I'm sad many seem to condone this
unethical behavior.

Wendy Free