Re: [teacherartexchange] Second Graders Learn Copyright Lesson the Hard Way

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 07:20:52 PDT

I have to say I am really surprised at this artist's response. I taught an
African lesson based on the book "Calabash Cat" by James Rumford. Somehow he
saw my examples posted on my website and e-mailed me his appreciation. I'm
guessing Mr.Rumford has heard how artists in the past would go and copy the
"Master" works of art in order to improve their own skill and technique. He
was very flattered. It's not as if this artist is losing money by the
teacher teaching this lesson, or by the few dollars she makes on Artsonia.
I'll bet she doesn't make as much as one of his prints sells for. If
anything, a parent might see the child's artwork and be interested enough to
purchase one of the original prints. I know I'd never heard of him before.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

Don't argue with stupid people.