Re:[teacherartexchange] Graduate assitant

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 10:32:11 PDT

Hmmm, that's a better beginning salary than North Carolina. The beginning salary for a teacher in N.C. is $28,510. I have been teaching for 11 years now and have my National Boards and my salary is $42,520. I get some longevity, and some bonus from my district which bumps me up to somewhere around $44,000. But this is after 11 years in the business. Still, I LOVE my job of teaching elementary art, and feel like it is definately my calling. I have done other things-Graphic Artist, Secretary, Computer Consultant, three among many, but came back to teaching. I love my kids. Most of them that is. I see 656, every 6 days, and only about 30 leave me frustrated, so that's really good odds. The fringe benefits are hugs, smiles, and beautiful artwork laid on my desk when I am out of the room.

Still I feel with all the empahsis on testing that we are in another Dark Ages for the arts. The emphasis is more on the tested areas, and that is totally understandable when EVERYONE's jobs ride on those scores. Even society does not value the arts the way they once did in my opinion. Funding for everyone is getting very tight.

1. Re: graduate assistant and beyond