Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] graduate assistant and beyond

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 20:14:44 PDT

Hi Wendy,

I wonder about the state of our universities and art
education too.

Beginning salaries for no experience art teachers are
$39,000 to $44,000 in the Dallas Metroplex. This is
with a BA with art teacher certification.

Starting salaries for PhDs in Art Education in the
North Texas area are about the same.

I guess everyone can draw their own conclusions.
University salaries are not keeping pace with
inflation and states are not giving universities
enough money. It is much worse for the Arts.

--- wendy free <> wrote:

> Hi Diane, Elizabeth, and all,
> I'm not sure if this is an anomaly in my locale, but
> recently our university advertised for an art ed
> professor with a starting salary substantially less
> that what I earn as a high school teacher with years
> of experience and a PhD. I have never for one
> second
> regretted getting my doctoral degree but have been
> surprised by the number and type of university
> opportunities for art ed PhDs I've seen - makes me
> wonder about the state of our discipline.
> :D Wendy
> wendy
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to