Re: [teacherartexchange] kinder's artwork question

---------

rpopek_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 15:31:50 PDT

This age is so different developmentally and this is just one stage in the development. I have had kindergarteners that were still in the scribble stage. As mentioned before it's interesting to look at the stages of development in childhood drawing. I do a lesson with my kindergarteners. Self portraits in September and then again in June it's remarkable how changed they are in just the school year. Your students drawing sounds like what we called the tadpole stage.
Perhaps your student is drawing exactly what he/she feels at this age. Aren't they all eyes and legs? They're looking where they want to go and the legs will take them there, they never sit still and the rest of the body is unimportant. Perhaps it's an accurate rendition.:-) Is it an active family?
Renee