[teacherartexchange] tape sculpture suggestions

---------

From: Ruby Re-Usable (rubyreusable_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 09:33:31 PDT

I did an artist-in-the-studio residency at the Museum of Glass in
Tacoma, WA and was very inspired by what I had read here on the Getty
List about tape sculpture a few years ago.

I used 1/2" tape and colored plastic wrap on small objects (time
constraint), and have been making plastic wrap and tape sculptures
ever since (you can read about my plastic wrap and tape project for
the City of Olympia this past summer here:
http://rubyreusable.com/artblog/?cat=3 )

Bandage scissors are the only way to go when cutting off the tape!
(purchase them at a medical supply store)

Also, have your students wear long pants, socks, long sleeves and even
gloves, so that the plastic wrap doesnt stick to their skin/makes it
easier for the cast to come off. When I do the head, I have the model
wear a wig cap to protect the hair (a tight fitting beanie would work,
too)

the model being wrapped can sometimes assist in wrapping those private areas.

IF you want to get into details, like fingers on the hand, use the
narrow rolls of tape (1/2" or 3/4"), but making the hands like mitts
is easier.

Reynolds wrap has the easiest cutting device. Wrapping in plastic
wrap instead of the first layer of tape sticky side up is so much
easier.

Good luck! love, etc Diane Kurzyna aka Ruby Re-Usable

http://www.rubyreusable.com/
http://rubyreusable.com/artblog/