Re: [teacherartexchange] graduate assistant

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 04:33:28 PDT

Hi Elizabeth,

Actually this is a good offer for universities. Many
years ago when I went for my Ph.D. I got guaranteed
student loans, worked a variety of different jobs,
applied for financial aide and got work study and
qualified for loans. It took me three years. It was
hard, but worth every penny. Since you have a family
it probably needs to be a family decision because you
will be very, very busy and financial sacrifies will
need to be made.

I downsized in my living quarters and relied on loans
to pay for tuition (tuition was not covered for me as
part of the assistantship). The university would wait
for my loans to come in and then take the tuition out
and give me the rest. I did this from 1979 to 1982
and lived on $17,000.00 a year which included
loans/two or three little jobs and my assistantship.

If your goal is to teach Art Education at a university
then I say go for it!

I became good friends with my financial aide officer
and she helped me to get short term loans for personal
emergencies. I got a quick loan for $500 to fix my
teeth when I needed a crown. I also got $2,000 to put
up my Doctoral Art Exhibition...I had to do a
Dissertation as well as a one person art exhibition.

I hope this helps

Diane