[teacherartexchange] graduate assistant

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 04:15:14 PDT

I have been offered an assistantship at the local
college for Art Ed PhD program but the stipend would
be only $10,000 a year. In making the offer, they said
'not many teachers can accept this.' Duh! I wondered
how other people possibly made this work in some
creative way. I want to do it but it is such a huge
pay cut. I have a family to consider as well as
myself. My bit of research is even more
discouraging--it shows this to be a typical stipend
for graduate assistants. It is not even enough for
rent! Does one get grants to supplement this?
Beth