Re: [teacherartexchange] 10 minute lesson plan for an interview

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 17:19:28 PDT

Actually, you probably have taught 10 minute "lessons" - you just didn't
have a finished product at the end. There are many times that my class will
finish up a project with 10-15 min. left in class. Rather than start a new
project I will generally introduce a new concept. Maybe introduce the idea
of perspective, and then have your "students" draw along with you to create
floating boxes going to the vanishing point. Another mini-lesson is to model
the concept of gesture drawing, and then have "students" draw a figure in 20
seconds (you'll need to recruit a model to pose for them). Another idea is
to have a quick critique over an artwork. With the new NCLB kick, you can
use the concept of "reading" a painting, which uses many of the same
strategies as traditional reading.When I teach these mini-lessons I will
generally follow up the following week with a review and/or possibly a
longer lesson that yields a finished product. However, not all lessons need
to have an artwork as a final result. If you can make the interviewers as
students feel they have learned something you've got a good chance at that
job!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids