[teacherartexchange] 10 minute lesson plan for an interview

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 13:48:43 PDT

Greetings!

I have a question that I was hoping that someone on
the list might be able to help me with. I'm a first
year teacher and scheduled to get "bumped" by some
secondary teachers who are moving down next year, so
I've been applying in other districts.

I have my first interview next week, and I've been
told to prepare a two-minute introduction about myself
(no problem) and a ten-minute lesson plan (What!?!).
The position is for a brand spanking new intermediate
school 5th and 6th grade only, and I currently teach
1st - 5th.

So here's my question, I obviously don't teach 10
minute lessons, most of my 5th grade lessons last
seveal 40 minute class periods. We look at an artist
or I read a book about an artist, then we talk about
it and then start a project which will last the rest
of the first class period and be picked up the next
week and perhaps even the week after that depending on
how things go with some time at the end for
discussion.

So, does anyone have a recommendation about how to
approach this? I would prefer to use a lesson that I
have actually done and have pictures of finished work
that I can present (my personal favorites so far this
year are: the story of Sadako and origami paper
cranes, straw weavings/Kente cloth, Oaxacan papier
mache animals, limner portraits and a tile mosaic that
is still in progress) However, I'm not sure where to
start - apparently I am to role play teaching to
members of the board of education who will pretend to
be students and ask me questions (how bizarre is
that!)

Any advice would be appreciated as I really want this
position and I'm a total wreck about it.

Thanks!!

Chris in Central Arkansas