[teacherartexchange] Teaching outside of school

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 07:04:18 PDT

Regarding what to charge for teaching outside of school...

I teach a Saturday school art class for high school students at a local
college that is free to students but is supported by the local school
district. The class runs for 6 Saturdays and each of the sessions last for
3 hours. I combine both traditional art studio and computer art lessons /
teaching and learning strategies in my program.

The district pays me $1800 for the 18 hours, out of which I spend $400 for
art supplies that I disburse among the students during the last class. That
leaves about $78 an hour. In addition, it is about an 80 mile round trip
for me each Saturday or 480 miles total. Factoring gas and mileage into the
equation figuring on $.40 a mile, that reduces the hourly rate to roughly
$67 per hour. My class size is roughly 20 students. If each student was to
pay an equal portion of that, their cost would be $3.35 an hour X 18 hours
which would equal $60.30 for the 6 Saturdays.

Given all of that, you certainly will have to figure on material costs,
travel expenses, and number of hours you wish to set to make this worthwhile
for you.

Hope that proves to be helpful.

Kevan