RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 28, 2006

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 05:07:56 PDT

I have been involved with working on murals with and without students for
several decades now. Whether to attempt to seal the surface of the mural is
not a simple yes or no answer. There are a number of factors involved. I
know that there are differences based upon the surfaces being painted on in
addition to the type of paint being used, whether or not the murals are
installed inside or outside, and so forth. I have stuck with painting on
3/4" (now 5/8") plywood that has been finished on one side. I double prime
the wood prior to painting to lessen the porousness of the surface to insure
a better painting surface and to seal the wood properly. On an interior
murals I use semi-gloss latex paint bought in gallon cans (sometimes
interesting colors can be found for free from paint stores that would
otherwise toss them). A few years ago I was commissioned to do an exterior
mural on the outside of an elementary school brick wall. The mural took up
four 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. I used the same type of wood but went with
an exterior gloss latex paint instead. The paint experts at the store (I
went to Sherwin Williams), told me that the paint should be left alone and
that attempting to seal the surface would cause yellowing of the paint due
to exposure to sunlight. There was also speculation that the sealant might
also be prone to peeling with time and exposure to the elements. The mural
has been up now for 4 years and it still looks brand new. One thing that I
did make sure of for the outside mural was that I used a better quality
paint to help insure longevity.

Hope that helps.

Kevan