RE: [teacherartexchange] some questions :)

---------

From: Theresa Parker (tlparker77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 23:06:56 PDT

Hi Lisa.

What has been working pretty well for me as far as kindergarten lessons go
is tying the weekly lesson to the letter of the week, or a subject the class
might be studying in their science kits or in some other area. I'll usually
try to find a children's book that can help get the conversation going. For
instance, when the letter of the week was "R" I brought the book "If I Had A
Robot". It prompted a discussion about the shapes (geometric and free-form)
the artist used to create the robots pictured in the story. The students
then drew their own robots and had us write what the robots could do for
them.

Another example, when I introduced line, I used the story, "Harold and the
Purple Crayon". Also, "The Squiggle" is a good story for teaching about
line. I spend lots of time in the children's section of the library,
finding books that are not too long, that are interesting and that have good
examples to inspire the children.

Theresa Parker
Gig Harbor, WA