Re: [teacherartexchange] portfolio storage

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 17:01:45 PDT

i keep everything (2D) until the end of the year because 1) i like to
be able to choose from the year's projects for a great spring art show
display and 2) so the kids "body of work" can go home in a portfolio
that they make at the end of the year. my rationale for the portfolio
is that if the work goes home piecemeal, it goes on the refrigerator
for aq while and then into the trash can. the portfolio imbues this
work with a certain "importance" and it is more apt to be saved from
year to year. many of my students leave 6th grade with 7 portfolios of
their work from kdg on. they love looking back through them at the
growth.
now for your question, when a class folder gets too full, i take out
sets of things that i want to store until the art show and get them
ready for display (mats,, narratives about the lesson etc.) and put
them up on top of my cabinets. then they are all ready to go when the
art show rolls around. things i'm not planning to use in the show go up
there too, to get them out of the way.
if there are any 3D things i don't want to save for the show, i send
them home early.
linda in michigan