Re: [teacherartexchange] some questions :)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 11:26:42 PDT

Hi, Lisa,

You should not be donating your money as well as your time. This has
been a topic of discussion many times. Many people have gotten
donations from various stores, printers, local school warehouses. Send
a wish list home to the parents asking for donations. They can take
advantage of back-to-school sales. Have you asked the admin about
getting some funds with which to buy supplies? What about the PTA?
Could you ask the K teachers to order you some things with their
budgets? Have you looked into the school's warehouse to see what you
can get from it? Suck up to the warehouse manager big time, because she
or he might be your savior.

That said, we all spend enormous amounts of our own money to buy
supplies for our classrooms. We also collect all sorts of goofy
materials to reuse in our classrooms (toilet paper tubes, corks, foam
meat trays, paper sacks, wallpaper sample books, magazines, you name
it). Check out the Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/ as a starting place for lessons
on a budget.

Good luck,

Maggie