[teacherartexchange] my "studio" in my classroom

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 09:27:56 PDT

So what prompted my whole inner-discussion about the "Those who
can..." comment yesterday? I'll tell you.

I've started painting for myself again. After having children and
starting a new career, I found that time was short (no duh, right?)
and I had to give up some things -- mainly everything that doesn't
have anything to do with laundry, dinner, or childcare. I missed it,
though, and decided I needed to start painting again. I don't have a
place at home where I can set up my paints (yet... waiting for the
husband to clean out part of the garage) and so I decided to set up my
"studio" in a corner of my classroom where I can work after school.
The administration was not only supportive of my plan, but my
principal said, "I strongly encourage you to persue your own art! You
really need to do this!"

This is the BEST thing I've ever done! The kids flock to my room
before the first bell to see what I've done since the day before, and
it has begun so many great classroom conversations about actually
making a living as an artist. But, the most exciting development has
been the surprise I see on so many faces -- "You mean, YOU can
actually PAINT? So why are you a teacher?" I get this from kids AND
adults. It's amazing that so many people assume that if you're a
teacher, you have no real talent or knowledge. Sad, really. Anyway,
this setup has been really great for everyone! I think that after I
get my little "studio" put together at home, I'm still going to keep a
painting going in my classroom, too.

If you're interested, you can see what I've been up to:
http://carpethis.blogspot.com . It's a work in progress (and I've
got a lot of work to do) but I put it online so my grownup friends
could follow along, too.
Becky