[teacherartexchange] Student teacher

---------

From: menichino (jlmenichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 19:12:20 PDT

Hello Marybeth --

 I enjoy having a student teacher in my K-5 room -- I get good ideas
from them, and the kids love having someone different for a change!
When we first meet I give out an information sheet about our school
and program, my K-5 curriculum, and lesson suggestions... if they
contact me over the summer I will mail this to them. (Sometimes I
don't hear from them over the summer, though.) Since we have a 6-day
rotating schedule, I will teach the lessons on my S.T.'s first day and
ask if they want to take over one of the lessons for the remaining
classes in that rotation. They will have put in lots of hours
observing in previous semesters so I don't feel they need more of
that. If they seem confident, before the end of the first rotation I
might have them begin one of their own lessons with one of the easier
grade levels (definitely not kindergarten!). I encourage them to
write out their tentative plan and make a sample (extremely
important!). So they may be teaching two lessons by the end of the
first week. (Although for that first rotation I do welcome the
classes myself and I go over expectations and fire exit info, etc.
before the S.T. starts the lesson.) I do ask that they tie in their
lessons to my curriculum -- one year I didn't do that and I found
myself scrambling at the end of the year to make up what I thought the
kids still needed. I also keep a notebook that I write in as they are
teaching -- noting good things they're doing and areas needing
improvement -- I can never remember stuff like that when we get to the
end of the day and have time to talk.... ! And then they get a record
of all the classes they've taught also.
 Hope this helps --
 Liz in rural NY