Re: [teacherartexchange] Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 14:45:39 PDT

What about the parents who just don't get it? A couple
weeks ago at an art show, a mom was saying "I wish my
daughter wasn't so good at art- I would HATE for her
to decide to make it a career. She'll never make any
money! I'm hoping she'll lean more toward science,
because she's really good at that too" I was floored-
this was a mom who had seemed so excited in the past
about her daughter's work, and even dropped off some
of my students' work for a different exhibit recently.
I responded by saying "Well, don't you think being
good at art will make her an even better scientist?
Please don't discourage her from learning more about
art!" I didn't know what to say...
Then I saw the same mom this morning (she volunteers
quite a bit at my school)Today she asked if she could
see her daughter's cubist portrait, and told me how
much her daughter said she was enjoying it. Then the
mom said that she was glad I told her daughter's class
that it took a while for me to learn about abstract
art and to appreciate it, because she "just HATES
abstract art!" UGH!

Jayna