Re: [teacherartexchange] thoughtless principals

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 07:35:53 PDT

I'm catching this thread belatedly and have to chime in. It's one of the things
that make me glad I'm in the school I'm in.

On monday, our assistant principal dropped by the art classroom while I had a
6th grade wheel in progress (he comes by often to see the art work and we're
always glad to see him). I asked him to stay a moment for a recognition and
brought out a fine little ceramics dragon from one of the students in the class
that I'm holding for the art show. The student knew I was planning to exhibit it
but the rest of the class hadn't seen it glaze fired. The artist is a younger sib in
a minority family and while his core teachers know he loves art, I don't think
everyone really appreciates how good he is. He got to take a bow was very, very
pleased to be applauded by everyone including the assistant principal.

Part 2 of the story: Within ten minutes the principal appeared in the classroom
saying she'd heard there was an excellent ceramic sculpture and could she see
it. So I brought the dragon out again.

Linda

PS. My principal has also been the one who's encouraging me to get into TAB.