RE: [teacherartexchange] publishing a 7th graders comic strip

---------

From: Schuler, John (jschuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 07:52:43 PDT

Here is something I know a little about.

First off, I applaud this 7th grader for having the patience to finish a
comic. There are several options.

I produce my own comics and sell them independently. I have worked for
a few small publishers but really like the process of doing it myself.
Doing a comic can be as easy as photocopying the pages and stapling them
together, or you can have them printed by professionals for a very nice
look. It really is a matter of how much do you want to spend.

If you do a Google search for "independent comic books" you'll come up
with many resources. I suggest going to the "comic book resources and
links", then to "creating comics". Dave Law seems to have the things
you will need. There are a couple that might not be kid friendly so
look yourself, first.

You also can encourage her to go to comic conventions. This will give
her a very good idea of what is out there. You'd be amazed at how many
LOOK like they were done by middle schoolers but were made by adults.
Again, a simple Google search will help you locate the nearest ones. I
sell my stuff in New York City, Columbus, Ohio, Chicago, Kansas City and
San Diego.

I hope this helps.