[teacherartexchange] Two High School Technology Lessons

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 06:15:43 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Kris Fontes has put two additional lesson ideas for Computer Graphics
on her web site.

1.) Generation Mutation - http://www.krisfontes.com/generation.htm the
basic idea of the project is to create a series of modifications that
had their starting point in the same image. Based on a 1998 website
www.digitalsouls.com/genmut/transmute01.html . I have done this
project with my students for the last four or five years and I am
always amazed at their different "mutations" of the original image.

Note from Judy: You will want to check out the photos on the Digital Souls site:
http://www.digitalsouls.com/siteworks/generation/mutation/contents.html
This might be a good "assessment" tool at the end of the
year/semester. You could use the photo from the Digital Souls site (or
find you own photograph to manipulate). Students could do several
images showing their knowledge of Photoshop and paint software.

2.) I Space - a take-off on the popular social networking website,
MySpace - students take pictures of themselves.
http://www.krisfontes.com/ispace.htm This idea was developed after
reading an article from the New York Times. It is an extremely
RELEVANT VISUAL CULTURE lesson that is very motivating to all the
students. They just love taking their own pictures! It is also a
lesson on personal identity.

From Judy: You could extend this lesson by having the students create
their own mini web site - learning html code or web editing software.
For more Graphics Arts Ideas and Middle School lesson ideas - check
out Kris' web site: http://www.krisfontes.com/

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/