Re: [teacherartexchange] Charging a lab fee in the art and computer arts clas...

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 12:42:30 PDT

Hi,
I think I missed the beginning of this discussion, but thought I would add
in what we do...

I also sell an 'art kit', and do not do a lab fee.
In my area (Ontario, Canada) we are allowed to sell kits under the following
condition...that if the item is 'required' in the course, then it can not be
sold, but must be provided. Clay for example is required for doing the clay
unit. I provide that. Brushes, although required when painting, are part
of the kit, as students have the choice to build the kit on thier own (I
give a supply list on the first day as a part of the course paperwork) or
use the class supplies (brushes though are usually crusty).
Most kids buy the kits. If they were to actually go and buy everything on
their own, it would actually cost more - I sell them at cost - I make no
money, and some years, depending on shipping costs, I lose a little.
However, it is a huge burdon off of my budget to have the kids buy brushes
and shading pencils so that I don't have to provide them.
Grade 9 kits are $10. Grade 10 are $15. Grade 11 this year was $18.50.
Grade 12 is dependant on what they want to buy.
Each kit contains a sketchbook, various shading pencils (dependant on
grade), 3 brushes, sharpie marker, fine black gell pen, white vinyl erase,
ruler.
I find that by the time they reach grade 12 they have a lot of the supplies
from the previous year, and just need to suppliment.

sue