Re: [teacherartexchange] my latest brilliant idea

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 09:46:50 PDT

My district had a huge grant a few years back that was focused on community.
The high school English classes interviewed senior citizen residents, but
they ran into the challenge of when to have them do the interviews. We
couldn't just release them from school to go interview, and having them do
it in the evenings was hard as many of the students are out for sports and
then work. So overall the project wasn't overly successful, but could be if
the kinks were worked out. The school where my son goes to school has a
community service day each year, where people contact the school for work
they need done. Students go around town and paint houses, clean up yards,
and whatever else is requested. If your school does something like this you
could possibly have the kids interview after they do the community service.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids