[teacherartexchange] Student Teacher

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 07:08:26 PDT

I hope this post gets through because I have never been successful in the
past;

First, I want to say thank you to all that send in ideas and solutions. I
have benefited quite a few times from your knowledge. I hope I have learned
how to post (finally) and I intend to participate soon.

Now my question;

I will be mentoring my first student teacher this September and I would like
some advice. I teach elementary art k-5 and this will be my sixth year
teaching (I am a returning art teacher so I have plenty of life experiences
that help me in the classroom). My st will be coming the first week and
staying til about the middle of October. My first week is easing back into
school and setting up my expectations, how do I relinquish to a st? Do I
have her follow my initial plans and then let her take over? I have not
received a packet from the college as of yet so I'm not sure of their
expectations. I, of course, plan to meet with her over the summer and set
up a plan, any suggestions?

Thank you,

mb