[teacherartexchange] how to deal with today's unacceptable behavior(s)

---------

From: Janice Foy (musicalmenace_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 01:03:33 PDT

Recently I was asked to be a "sub" coach in a musical situation. I was
very excited about it because I have had great results with children
and young adults - at least I did until I took the job! Musicians I
place on a higher plane since one has to be above the average to study
an instrument and maintain the discipline to learn it. Not only was I
unable to focus on the task at hand, ie., get them through the music,
but I noticed that the one leading the section set a very unacceptable
tone for the entire coaching situation. Out of about musicians, I
think I actually reached one - by the time the second group came, it
was impossible to continue at the level I expected and I let the group
go early. I asked one musician if it is like this usually, and he
said, "they do the same thing to the regular coach" which is probably
why this person decided to take a better paying job, as I later found
out. But then, if one is doing it "for the money" in music, therein
lies another 'attitude' which may or may not be picked up from the
group with which one is dealing. That might also be part of the
'problem'.

Bottomline: there is a definite lack of respect for the person in
charge and the young people apparently are not being adequately
disciplined at home. I never saw this type of behavior in Europe nor
amongst the Asian culture. If the person is themselves not
disciplined, it isn't possible to maintain the discipline towards one's
art.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Comments?? Books to read??

Thanks, concerned professional musician/educator