[teacherartexchange] my latest brilliant idea

---------

From: Lucinda Shinn (lshinn38_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 11:13:40 PDT

 I have to tell you about my latest project that I
started with a remark that wasn't well thought out. My
advanced art class is working on photoshop. The last
time we did this, the students had fun with other
student's portraits and some students were angry at
the results.
  So this year I ask the students to take pictures of
the older houses in their community. I now have the
attention of the town! The administration has been in
the room to tell my students what a great project it
is.The historical society has been up to see the
pictures, and praise the students. The pictures will
be displayed next week at an all school festival that
   School is almost over, and I would like to do this
again next year, but with much better planning. We
actually only covered about six blocks this year.
 I would like to have the Oklahoma and/or US History
teachers have their students research the history of
the houses, and maybe we could create audio-visuals of
the older people in the neighborhood talking about
their childhood.
  Have any of you done anything like this? Safety of
my students is utmost in my mind. I am thinking that
I would use architecture as the basis of my unit. They
would use photoshop to enhance the pictures, and of
course, use the elements and principals to take good
pictures to use.
 I can use some suggestions. As I said, this was just
a suggestion of something to photograph and has steam
rolled into a community taking interest into what the
students are doing. Lucinda