Re:[teacherartexchange] how do you teach a principal?

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 02:55:22 PDT

Lauryn, et al.
I meant a document which would be available at art shows. Several adults
can become absolutely stymied when talking about art. Last year, during a
portfolio review with adult artists, my young artists could barely get
anything out, because the adults were too careful. One extxreme or the
other, I guess. I will be working on that and getting it to Judy for IAD.

 I have talked to my principal (successfully) and I agree--what a way not
talking would be, to ruin a relationship!

Thanks for the advice.

Maggie

At 01:48 PM 4/20/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>That is a tough situation. My first impulse is to say that a school
>wide document might be a little drastic. I understand that you are
>trying to avoid confrontation with the principal by talking to her
>directly, but a school wide letter might be even more confrontational
>than you mean to be- after all, the Principal will probably be aware
>that you are making a reference to her actions, coming so soon after
>her visit to your class. So how will she feel if you address the
>incident to everyone, albeit indirectly- she might still be offended.
>
>I think that you are better off approaching her in private, as some of
>the other teachers have described. You can be professional and
>constructive without getting yourself in trouble or making it seem as
>if you are being mutinous.
>
>On a funny note, my students did the George Segal Packing tape
>sculptures. One day, one of the completed sculptures that had been on
>display by the main office- had paper earrings on him.
>
>It was the principal who put them on!
>
>Lauryn Ahearn
>Orange, NJ
>____________________________________________________________________Subject:
>How do you teach a principal?
>
>My principal came into my eighth grade, year-long classroom yesterday,
>and within ten minutes had de-motivated several art students with
>comments and/or body language, about their work. We've just finished
>mobiles of birds, made from flat reed and paper. Several are
>beautiful, and several are awkward--but hey, they're eighth graders.
>My principal has no warm feelings towards the visual arts, probably
>because she was brought up in a rural area herself. (She has a Ed.D,
>though, so she should know about motivation.) In the interests of my
>students, I'm thinking of preparing a document for dissemination
>school-wide, about comments that are APPROPRIATE to art students.
>
>I seem to remember something years ago on this listserv about such
>appropriate comments. Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>---
>To unsubscribe go to

Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net