Re:[teacherartexchange] how do you teach a principal?

---------

From: Lauryn (lauryn.ahearn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 10:48:27 PDT

That is a tough situation. My first impulse is to say that a school
wide document might be a little drastic. I understand that you are
trying to avoid confrontation with the principal by talking to her
directly, but a school wide letter might be even more confrontational
than you mean to be- after all, the Principal will probably be aware
that you are making a reference to her actions, coming so soon after
her visit to your class. So how will she feel if you address the
incident to everyone, albeit indirectly- she might still be offended.

I think that you are better off approaching her in private, as some of
the other teachers have described. You can be professional and
constructive without getting yourself in trouble or making it seem as
if you are being mutinous.

On a funny note, my students did the George Segal Packing tape
sculptures. One day, one of the completed sculptures that had been on
display by the main office- had paper earrings on him.

It was the principal who put them on!

Lauryn Ahearn
Orange, NJ
____________________________________________________________________Subject:
How do you teach a principal?

My principal came into my eighth grade, year-long classroom yesterday,
and within ten minutes had de-motivated several art students with
comments and/or body language, about their work. We've just finished
mobiles of birds, made from flat reed and paper. Several are
beautiful, and several are awkward--but hey, they're eighth graders.
My principal has no warm feelings towards the visual arts, probably
because she was brought up in a rural area herself. (She has a Ed.D,
though, so she should know about motivation.) In the interests of my
students, I'm thinking of preparing a document for dissemination
school-wide, about comments that are APPROPRIATE to art students.

I seem to remember something years ago on this listserv about such
appropriate comments. Anybody have any suggestions?