Re:[teacherartexchange] How do you teach a principal?

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 04:02:37 PDT

I am sure that my principal does not 'get it.' I like
my principal, but he was a math teacher and he just
cannot figure out what we do in art. He makes mistakes
that hurt me and the students. Over the years as I've
(hopefully) become wiser, part of this has been the
rude awakening that I have to teach not only the
students, but the parents and staff as well. The work
is daunting, but the sooner we admit we must forge
into educating and guiding these adults, as well as
the students, the better off we are. Articles in
newsletters, open house, bulletin boards with child
art always have opportunities for references to the
critical thinking and other ways we clearly and
delibereately increase student achievement.
Beth
ps As for your particular situation, I would privately
confront this person about what happened in class. I
would get more facts. (What was said, what was meant,
etc.) This seems to me like a bit of a power play over
your work.