[teacherartexchange] How do you teach a principal?

---------

From: arttucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 07:24:39 PDT

My principal came into my eighth grade, year-long classroom yesterday, and within ten minutes had de-motivated several art students with comments and/or body language, about their work. We've just finished mobiles of birds, made from flat reed and paper. Several are beautiful, and several are awkward--but hey, they're eighth graders. My principal has no warm feelings towards the visual arts, probably because she was brought up in a rural area herself. (She has a Ed.D, though, so she should know about motivation.) In the interests of my students, I'm thinking of preparing a document for dissemination school-wide, about comments that are APPROPRIATE to art students.

I seem to remember something years ago on this listserv about such appropriate comments. Anybody have any suggestions?