[teacherartexchange] Incas and sun worship

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 07:15:04 PDT

For those of you who responded to Judy's request for
South American art resources for my benefit,I've been
researching and checking out the links, and my goal
has been to limit the unit to a specific topic for
each media. I'm teaching the unit to 6th graders, and
I need each project to last about a week. I'm leaning
toward sun worship for glue-line printmaking; having
the students respond to the idea of worshiping the
sun, reasons why they think the Incas and other
cultures have worshiped the sun, and to create a
radial image inspired by weavings, repousse'd gold
sheet masks, etc from ancient South American cultures
that depict the sun. I'm currently exploring ideas for
clay and weaving, but I think we will weave pouches if
I can find enough material (pardon the pun) to share
with the kids as to why the pouches are/were woven.
Please excuse my ignorance of South American art-but
I'm trying- and I welcome any input and insight you
all may have.