RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 12, 2006

---------

From: clarkda (clarkda_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 03:58:40 PDT

Dysgraphia

I HAD TO RESPOND TO THIS ONE!!! Our son, a senior at OSU in architecture
and construction management systems (will receive 2 degrees in Win08), HAS
DYSGRAPHIA, has always had it. Definitely looks like chicken scratch
unless he takes his time. He does cursive better than manuscript because
the letters are connected and we worked with this with much discipline.
Seems nowadays, there is not the emphasis on discipline as there once was in
the area of handwriting. When applying to Knowlton School of Architecture,
we asked if the dysgraphia were a problem, if the LD aspects of limited
attention span, etc. would hinder his degree seeking. They laughed and
said most architect students and architects themselves are LD. I am not at
all surprised at Woody's story about the LD kid who did the perfect
icosahedron. Most architecture students "see in 3-D." Whereas most of
the rest of the population sees limitedly, in 2-D. Our son is an awesome
artist and makes the most gorgeous building designs!! And of course, he not
only makes 3-D models with all kinds of materials (Bristol board, chipboard,
etc.), but as well, works with CAD, FormZ, Photoshop, InDesign, and many
other computer aided design programs. I love LD kids!!

Donna in Ohio