Re: [teacherartexchange] Dysgraphia

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 21:26:52 PDT

Woody Duncan wrote:

> <snip>. Often my special ed students
> were graded just like all other students. Sometimes they out performed
> the "normal" students. I remember one young lady, who was in
> special ed for math, constructing a perfect icosahedron before
> anyone else in class. I proudly showed her work to the principal.

Woody's sooo-oooo right, as usual. The SpEd kids always seemed to excel
in art class, even if their work was clumsier-looking (but often,
however, it was really good); I think it's because they were so used to
having to work so much harder to accomplish anything.

Like Lauren, I believe it's better to give them the same assignments as
the other kids--with adaptions if necessary.. My tactic for dealing
with SpEd kids was always to concentrate on what the CAN do, not on what
they can't.

Maggie