Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Horse sculptures of interest - clay and cast bronze

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 11:58:10 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am still working on my lesson page for horse (animal) sculptures....
Kathy O. sent me the links below for consideration.

From Kathy O:

Here are 2 equine artists you might want to look at. I saw their work
at the Equine Affaire in Los Angeles in February.

Denise Banda
Denise sculpts small, simple clay horses about 4" high and smaller. They could
easily be made by upper elementary students. They look a bit like a Native
American fetish.

(Note from Judy: Denise has a web site but does not allow the link to
be posted. You can easily find it in Google - enter her name. I have
made slab animals like this with students as young as third grade. The
first year I made them was 1986 - long before Denise was making her
horses. The technique can not be copyrighted).

Deanna Cummins
Deanna is a 17 year old who makes beautiful realistic bronze horses,
on the order of Remington. I talked with her and she is an amazing
young artist.
Deanna has a the processes on her site:

I have sent a request for permission to link on Incredible Art Department.

For more Contemporay Equestrian Art - check out:

You might like Angela Hook wire sculpture:

See Elizabeth Berrien - wire sculpture
Elizabeth is also linked on IAD.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department