Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Iveta Sherman Yazzie - Navajo Folk Artist (horses)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 08:22:49 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

A while back we had a thread on respecting Native Cultures......

Here is a Navajo artist you can use with your students. My students
loved folk art.... It was art they could do.

Iveta Sherman Yazzie - Navajo Folk Artist

These are all samples of his horses.

You could do a lesson using recycled materials here - paper towel
tubes, toilet paper tubes, cans, cardboard etc.... making folk art
paper mache animals. No one would be offended.

As a follow-up, you could show traditional Navajo arts/crafts so
students also gain an appreciation for their arts.

I will be including this idea on the Horses (animal sculpture) lesson plan.

I found many examples of folk art horse using Google images.... I have
several driftwood horse saved to file (artist wasn't listed for them).

Here is another contemporary artist to use:
Heather Jansch Driftwood Horses:

Of course, the main artist on this lesson is Deborah Butterfield. I
will also have ideas for Alexander Calder - using wire and cardboard.
I saved some Calder images to file (enter Calder horse in Google
images). You will find a contour drawing (Horse Tricks - you can cut
out the nude figure), a wire horse and two stabiles.

Here is a page with all sorts of links to Horses/Horses in art:
Links have not been verified on this page... I will check them all
after I get the lesson plan done.

The Unit for this could be Animals in Art - or Sculpture - with the
lesson being to make an animal sculpture of your choice. Those of you
who are brave, could offer a choice of media. Lesson page will include
stick sculpture, wire sculpture, paper mache (recycled items),
corrugated card board.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources