Re: [teacherartexchange] how many preps

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 17:23:55 PDT

On Apr 10, 2006, at 7:51 AM, chris massingill wrote:
> I teach elementary art 1st - 5th grade - 29
> classes a week at three schools. At the start of the
> year, each grade level worked on the same project - by

chris, i teach k-6 in 2 buildings and have about the same # of classes.
but i get so bored with teaching the exact same thing to all classes in
grade levels that i do something different with each class. it may be
just a little bit different but very seldom do i do the same project
with more than one class. good reasons for doing this:
1. it saves having to haul resources and tools around to 2 buildings.
2. i never have to worry about mixing up one student's project in
another class folder.
3. my art shows are very diverse for this reason.
4. there are no back ups in the drying rack or kiln from everyone doing
the same thing at the same time.
5. class dynamics can make a particular class faster, slower, better,
or worse so i can gear the projects to what i think each class can
handle.
6. it keeps things interesting for me.
7. i get to try more of judy decker's great collection of lessons
posted on IAD and all the other ideas posted here!
maybe there are more reasons but my evening brain drain is taking
effect.
sometimes i break from this and do the same thing with all the classes
in a grade if i feel like it. example: my 5th graders are all doing the
cardboard masks inspired by eric straw that judy posted a while back. i
only have 4 5th grades and they are loving the project. (thanks judy!)

> PS. someone, maybe the first poster, mentioned that
> elementary teachers get more planning time, but I only
> get 40 minutes before or after school - none during
> the day - is that different from what other teachers
> are getting?

our contract states that no teacher is required to be in front of kids
more than x number of minutes per week. that works out to about 4
specials/week for classroom and 4 planning periods for us. some years i
get just 4 per week and sometimes i get more. depends on building
populations and where i am assigned. (we currently have 21 elems but
next year this will be consolidated down to 17 because our demographic
is aging out of elem). but teaching all day without a break seems like
a tough day. we have a 50 minute break at lunch and 25 minutes of that
is considered planning time. we also have a second recess in the
afternoon. my most difficult day is when i have 4 classes back to back
in the morning/lunch/2 more classes/recess/last class.

linda in michigan