[teacherartexchange] Job opening

---------

From: marisa vitiello (asiram_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 17:00:02 PDT

There is an opening at my school and I'm thinking there may be some
qualified applicants among the readers of this list. Please see
below for any important info and check out our website.

Full time Position: Upper School Visual Art Teacher
Expected Beginning Date: August 2006

Position Description:
The Visual Art Teacher works with students in grades 9 thru 12
teaching four courses per term. Course load includes a year long 2-D
Art class, Advanced Placement Studio Art, a 9th grade introductory
and interdisciplinary art class called Humanities 1 Art and two
semester long Art and Society seminars with a focus on art of a
specific culture and time period. The Visual Art Teacher also serves
as an academic advisor to a group of 8-12 students, organizes student
art displays and is involved with the boarding community throughout
the school year.

Core Qualifications:
Experience working with high school-age students; Bachelors Degree
with emphasis or coursework in visual art or equivalent professional
experience as an artist; interest in collaborating with a small art
department; willingness to be involved in an independent school
community with a day and boarding population; and familiarity with
and support of Athenian School's philosophy.

Preferred Qualifications:
Recent experience teaching visual art in a variety of media,
familiarity with the Advanced Placement Studio Art curriculum/exam
and an understanding of independent schools.

Athenian's salary and benefits are competitive and include medical
and dental insurance, a retirement plan, and a daily lunch.

School Description:
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school which
prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and
purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners
and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal
responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is
440 students, including 42 boarding students, 30 of whom are
international students. For more information about Athenian's unique
educational program, applicants are encouraged to visit our website:
www.athenian.org.

Every employee is an Athenian community member and, as such, embraces
the cornerstones of Athenian's philosophy: respect; open, direct
communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to
the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally,
active support for environmental conservation, international
understanding, diversity, participatory government, outdoor
education, and service is essential.

The Athenian School seeks diversity in its community and does not
discriminate against
any employee or applicant because of race, color, citizenship status,
national origin,
ancestry, sex, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability,
veteran status, marital
status, or sexual orientation.

Athenian's commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our
hiring process;
people of color and GLBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.

Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references
via email to: ushiring@athenian.org

Address letter of interest to Dick Bradford, Upper School Head and
Academic Dean. Please also include the particular source through
which you learned about this position: newspaper, website, referral
organization, etc.