Re: [teacherartexchange] Creating Units

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 15:57:48 PDT

Hi Kathyrn,
    My perspective on "units" is a broad category, like painting,
printmaking, fiber arts (weaving, sewing, etc), ceramics, mixed media,
sculpture, learning about artists, for example. You want the students to
have an experience in a variety of categories, and you start simply with
primary kids and build on your program each year as they progress through
the grades. Sometimes all the units can have a connecting "theme." One year
I had an ancient Greek and Roman theme and the lessons reflected those
cultures in some way. I also worked closely with the classroom teachers
and, where possible, made connections with their units of study (like in
science --butterflies, whales, space travel, plants.) So under the umbrella
of a chosen unit of study, you plan many lessons. Hope this helps.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus