Re: [teacherartexchange] Calculating Chicago Hours

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 12:45:48 PDT

I think it's really cool that you CAN get credit for going--my district won't accept any
credits or hours that aren't pre-approved by the state dept. of ed.

>>> AmyBroady@alumni.duke.edu 04/08/06 9:30 PM >>>
Howdy, all!

I've been quiet on the list lately...was worn out from Chicago, and getting
my lessons and classroom ready for my observation for evaluation (still in
the midst of that; 1st observation complete; 2 more to go, plus lots of
paper hoops to jump through). (I am on a later evaluation schedule than most
since I was hired halfway through the year.)

I finally sat down tonight and summarized the sessions I attended and
calculated my hours. I used the times listed in the catalog to provide the
actual minutes that a session was scheduled for. I did not record the
sessions I slipped into if another session ended early. I figure it all
balances out, and if anything I underestimated the time I spent engaged in
professional development activity/discussion with peers. I counted our group
breakfast, plus two meals I had with another member, seeing as this group
really has contributed to my professional development, and I have spent
countless hours on the computer (undocumented) networking with you all.

It was a bummer that sessions were 50 minutes. Those final 10 minutes of
each hour were lost; and it really added up.

My final number was 2,520 minutes, or 42 hours. That total does not include
the hour or so that I browsed through the books at the NAEA publications
booth, nor did I count my first 45 minutes at the Vendor Booths on
Thursday...but I did count all 4 hours I spent down there on Saturday! Nor
did I count the hour or so each evening that I spent discussing the day with
my 3 roommates from my state. Perhaps I could have--it's all valuable and
applies to my teaching.

Does it sound like I did this right? How many hours of professional
development do you claim/estimate/calculate you earned in Chicago for the
purpose of certificate renewal or any other purpose?

I made tables in a Word document listing Day, Session Title, Time of Day,
and Minutes. All but a few entries (like my Art Institute of Chicago visits
and some networking meals) can be documented in the catalog.

I need 45 hours of professional development in order to renew my
certificate. I feel that considering that I gave up 5 days of my spring
break and spent hundreds of dollars going to Chicago for the conference, and
attended as many sessions as I could, given that some sessions were too
crowded to fit into, I should have easily earned the 45 hours up there. But
in creating my paper trail, I came up just short. I do have those extra 3
hours taken care of by attending an educator's open house at our local art
museum this week. So I should be good. Now I just need to take care of all
the paperwork, I guess. Oh, joy!

As always, I'll appreciate any feedback!
Thanks,
Amy