Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] critique session ideas?

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 03:04:08 PDT

>, I am thinking of doing an end-of-the-year critique/portfolio
presentations with parents and community members. Has anyone done this
before? Should I just do an art show, or something more formal where the
students present their work?

Amy, I did this with eighth grade students last year, and semi-pro, pro and
amateur artists, grouped one per four students. The adults were not sure
how far to go. Because of this, I chose not to repeat this year until I
knew what I wanted to accomplish more defined. I think if I do this again,
I'll have students from our high school, at Art I level, come over and
talk. Or maybe Art II.

I found a great way to critique is to do it every day at the end of the
session. I just stick the work up on the white board and we talk one
minute per. The first day, I report one good thing, if I can, and then
talk about a problem (don't want to be overwhelming). After that day, it
becomes almost rote. I also have used a good technique from one of the
Davis textbooks on talking about art (which I recommend heartily). Fold a
piece of paper in half. On the inside fold, student artist writes what
they want to accomplish. Keeping their purpose "hidden" they trade off
with a different artist. That person write on the outside fold what they
thing the artist wanted to accomplish, and suggestions. It's an easy way
to tweek.

Maggie Tucker

To unsubscribe go to