Re: [teacherartexchange] critique session ideas?

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 03:04:08 PDT

>, I am thinking of doing an end-of-the-year critique/portfolio
presentations with parents and community members. Has anyone done this
before? Should I just do an art show, or something more formal where the
students present their work?

Amy, I did this with eighth grade students last year, and semi-pro, pro and
amateur artists, grouped one per four students. The adults were not sure
how far to go. Because of this, I chose not to repeat this year until I
knew what I wanted to accomplish more defined. I think if I do this again,
I'll have students from our high school, at Art I level, come over and
talk. Or maybe Art II.

I found a great way to critique is to do it every day at the end of the
session. I just stick the work up on the white board and we talk one
minute per. The first day, I report one good thing, if I can, and then
talk about a problem (don't want to be overwhelming). After that day, it
becomes almost rote. I also have used a good technique from one of the
Davis textbooks on talking about art (which I recommend heartily). Fold a
piece of paper in half. On the inside fold, student artist writes what
they want to accomplish. Keeping their purpose "hidden" they trade off
with a different artist. That person write on the outside fold what they
thing the artist wanted to accomplish, and suggestions. It's an easy way
to tweek.

Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net