[teacherartexchange] critique session ideas?

---------

From: Thomas, Emily (ethomas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 20:16:26 PDT

Does anyone have any ideas about doing critique sessions? I have tried whole group (which usually doesn't work very well), small group (better), individual/worksheet then share. I have also done a really cool critique activity using ready-made tickets. I am interested in learning more ideas about critiquing student's own work.
Also, I am thinking of doing an end-of-the-year critique/portfolio presentations with parents and community members. Has anyone done this before? Should I just do an art show, or something more formal where the students present their work? I want it to either be during a 45 min. class session (is that possible? Don't think so), or perhaps afterschool. I live in a very impoverished area, so I don't know how many will show after-school. Any ideas? Thanks! - Emily Thomas (middle school art teacher)