Re: [teacherartexchange] how many preps

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 07:27:02 PDT

I have 7 classes. Technically, I have Art I, Art II, 6th grade
exploratory, and 7/8th grade exploratory, but to be honest, it's more
like having 7 totally different classes.

My first class is a split art I/ Art II, but my art I kids are so much
more advanced in art than my other Art I students. Then I have my
middle school classes (one, each) and 3 more Art I classes. Each
class has its own personality.
My first afternoon Art I class is mostly 9th graders. They're very
immature and have really short attention spans. My second afternoon
class is all college-bound seniors, and they're really interested in
making "real art" with canvases and paints and long-term projects. My
last class is a group of boys with terminal senioritis, and they're
only in Art because they didn't want to take philosophy.

It's rough, having to plan for 7 totally different classes, I won't
lie. Just writing lesson plans and making sure I have supplies was
killing me. I switched for the last term to a choice-based
curriculum, and it's a LOT more do-able. If you haven't tried it, you
might like it. I actually feel like I'm covering more of the
objectives than I was with my regular curriculum because there are a
lot more "teachable moments" and I'm not trying to push one concept
until it's mastered before going on to the next.

Just a warning, though -- you have to be REALLY organized to do a
choice-based curriculum. I struggled with keeping all my info and
supplies organized in the beginning, but now that I've found a system,
it's running a lot more smoothly.

Becky