[teacherartexchange] Calculating Chicago Hours

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 21:30:51 PDT

Howdy, all!

I've been quiet on the list lately...was worn out from Chicago, and getting
my lessons and classroom ready for my observation for evaluation (still in
the midst of that; 1st observation complete; 2 more to go, plus lots of
paper hoops to jump through). (I am on a later evaluation schedule than most
since I was hired halfway through the year.)

I finally sat down tonight and summarized the sessions I attended and
calculated my hours. I used the times listed in the catalog to provide the
actual minutes that a session was scheduled for. I did not record the
sessions I slipped into if another session ended early. I figure it all
balances out, and if anything I underestimated the time I spent engaged in
professional development activity/discussion with peers. I counted our group
breakfast, plus two meals I had with another member, seeing as this group
really has contributed to my professional development, and I have spent
countless hours on the computer (undocumented) networking with you all.

It was a bummer that sessions were 50 minutes. Those final 10 minutes of
each hour were lost; and it really added up.

My final number was 2,520 minutes, or 42 hours. That total does not include
the hour or so that I browsed through the books at the NAEA publications
booth, nor did I count my first 45 minutes at the Vendor Booths on
Thursday...but I did count all 4 hours I spent down there on Saturday! Nor
did I count the hour or so each evening that I spent discussing the day with
my 3 roommates from my state. Perhaps I could have--it's all valuable and
applies to my teaching.

Does it sound like I did this right? How many hours of professional
development do you claim/estimate/calculate you earned in Chicago for the
purpose of certificate renewal or any other purpose?

I made tables in a Word document listing Day, Session Title, Time of Day,
and Minutes. All but a few entries (like my Art Institute of Chicago visits
and some networking meals) can be documented in the catalog.

I need 45 hours of professional development in order to renew my
certificate. I feel that considering that I gave up 5 days of my spring
break and spent hundreds of dollars going to Chicago for the conference, and
attended as many sessions as I could, given that some sessions were too
crowded to fit into, I should have easily earned the 45 hours up there. But
in creating my paper trail, I came up just short. I do have those extra 3
hours taken care of by attending an educator's open house at our local art
museum this week. So I should be good. Now I just need to take care of all
the paperwork, I guess. Oh, joy!

As always, I'll appreciate any feedback!
Thanks,
Amy