Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Changing jobs

From: L Mitchell (lismatisse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 20:55:07 PDT

Maggie - so nice to hear the encouraging words as you
think about next steps....
I too left middle school - I was moving to a new town
and took the first job offered at what I thought was a
collaborative middle school. I made it my 200 days
August to June, kept a journal and decided that it
just wasn't my thing - it was a very isolating year. I
began teaching part time at the college level for my
"sabbatical" but then went back to "work" in January
when due to politics/budget cuts, I now only teach one
college class - not enough to live off of, and I
learned I really don't like the instability of
part-time work. There was a MS teacher retiring when I
called about positions, so I was offered a MS position
for Jan when I decided to go back to work, but the day
I was to go sign the papers, HR called with an elm
position. Luckily there was an art teacher leaving for
a private school and she didn't really like elm
school. I feel very lucky that the job was available
and have enjoyed most days (elm school and this county
in general has its oddities too)...When I was
interviewing I did have to talk about why I didn't
return to MS. Instead of saying I didn't like the
insanity, I talked of building a program, what I
wanted to teach (integrating the curriculum) and going
back to the experience I had in elm school. I also
know the principal probably called my MS principal
since I was applying in the same county - so I didn't
want to say anything that wouldn't be substantiated. I
would do a little research about the school through
their webpage before going for an interview.
I hope you have good luck finding a position. What
I've learned is not to take the first thing offered.
Lisa Mitchell

Do You Yahoo!?