Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Energy/Experimentation: Black Artists and Abstraction (Exhibit)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 08:16:18 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

New York Times has introduced me to additional African American
artists... some names I am familiar with -- others are new to me.

There is an exhibit at Studio Museum in Harlem:
On view: April 5 July 2, 2006
Energy/Experimentation: Black Artists and Abstraction, 19641980
"Energy/Experimentation explores the strong voice of abstract
art-making that developed during the second half of the 20th century."
"...abstractionists such as Sam Gilliam, William T. Williams, Al
Loving, Joe Overstreet and Howardena Pindell, were steadfast in their
use of non-objective visual language."

New York Times article (you have to subscribe to receive this - it is FREE)
Energy and Abstraction at the Studio Museum in Harlem
The museum's fine show brings the once-lost genre of abstraction by
African-Americans to the fore.

William T Williams (printmaker and painter)

This image might inspire some monoprinting.... using watercolors and
watercolor crayons. Brush Plexiglas plate with gum arabic and let it
dry... then paint wet in wet - splatter - draw with the crayons - let
dry and print with damp paper and etching press. Prints can be pulled
by using dampened paper (spritzed with water) and back of wooden

William T. Williams - Trane - had edges painting:
This is shown in the NY Times article.

here is another example of hard edge:
Linked on this page:

More non-objective work:
shows William T Williams -

More William T Williams can be found in Google images.... I will add
links to the hard edge painting lesson on IAD.

Look up more artists listed in the article that interest you.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to