[teacherartexchange] Energy/Experimentation: Black Artists and Abstraction (Exhibit)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 08:16:18 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

New York Times has introduced me to additional African American
artists... some names I am familiar with -- others are new to me.

There is an exhibit at Studio Museum in Harlem:
On view: April 5 July 2, 2006
Energy/Experimentation: Black Artists and Abstraction, 19641980
http://www.studiomuseum.org/exhibitions_new.html
"Energy/Experimentation explores the strong voice of abstract
art-making that developed during the second half of the 20th century."
"...abstractionists such as Sam Gilliam, William T. Williams, Al
Loving, Joe Overstreet and Howardena Pindell, were steadfast in their
use of non-objective visual language."

New York Times article (you have to subscribe to receive this - it is FREE)
ART REVIEW | 'ENERGY/EXPERIMENTATION'
Energy and Abstraction at the Studio Museum in Harlem
By HOLLAND COTTER
The museum's fine show brings the once-lost genre of abstraction by
African-Americans to the fore.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/07/arts/design/07stud.html?th&emc=th

William T Williams (printmaker and painter)
http://www.artgallery.umd.edu/driskell/exhibition/sec5/will_wi_02.htm

This image might inspire some monoprinting.... using watercolors and
watercolor crayons. Brush Plexiglas plate with gum arabic and let it
dry... then paint wet in wet - splatter - draw with the crayons - let
dry and print with damp paper and etching press. Prints can be pulled
by using dampened paper (spritzed with water) and back of wooden
spoon.

William T. Williams - Trane - had edges painting:
http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/bey/bey4-8-04.asp
This is shown in the NY Times article.

here is another example of hard edge:
http://www.uwrf.edu/~rw66/minority/minam/afr/oxford/105.jpg
Linked on this page:
http://www.uwrf.edu/~rw66/minority/afr2.htm

More non-objective work:
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG01/hughes/gall5.html
shows William T Williams -
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG01/hughes/geo.html

More William T Williams can be found in Google images.... I will add
links to the hard edge painting lesson on IAD.

Look up more artists listed in the article that interest you.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/